Monday, March 1, 2010

Setting Unrealistic Goals

In a recent blog, written by Jill Konrath, Jill challenged people to set unrealistic goals. I personally set a 90 day unrealistic goal- to continue my career with one of my 3 focus companies withing 60 days. I agree with Jill that setting unrealistic goals can help you to achieve great results and setting incremental goals can keep us thinking and acting small.

It is extremely important to talk unreachable goals as it relates to a team. If you set unrealistic goals and your team performs over and above, but does not reach those goals- CELEBRATE with your team. Explain to them the concept of unreachable goals and how much they have achieved. If you don't do this, your team will become unmotivated and will fail in the long run.
Years ago I had a boss who set unrealistic goals. My first year I was incredibly energized by this because it stretched me beyond where I would have gone had the goals been incremental.
After the first year I, and my other co-workers, slowly became frustrated. As soon as we reached that stretch goal another was set higher than the first. Who doesn't want to grow and be challenged? The frustrating part was that we never stopped to celebrate any of the successes we achieved. What was once a fresh, motivated, talented team became a frustrated, unmotivated, talented team.

People love to be challenged to grow. Just be sure to acknowledge and celebrate that growth- this is all part of the strategy of creating an outstanding team.

No comments:

Post a Comment