Thursday, March 25, 2010

Integrated Interactive Media- A Brand Differentiator

I love when companies or people say that Integrated Interactive Media is not important. I would argue that they don't understand what Interactive Media is.
First, let's define Interactive Media. Here are 3 defintitions pulled from Google:
1) "Allows for a two-way interaction or exchange of information."
(pretty good)
2) "Comprises interactive and multimedia products and services that: (i) make integrated use of the following media in the one product: text, still images (photographs or graphics), moving images (live action or animation) and audio;(ii) use computer commands to integrate these elements which allow ..."
(too narrow)
3) "The online, Internet, or web environment is the primary interactive media for advertising."
(too narrow)

The definition I like best is:
"Any form of interface between the end user/audience and the medium may be considered interactive. Interactive media is not limited to electronic media or digital media. Board games, pop-up books, gamebooks, flip books and constellation wheels are all examples of printed interactive media."

OK, let's assume, for arguments sake, that you agree with my defintition.
Now, how many companies do you know who have a store, a website and a customer call center? I would argue that the majority of businesses have at least 2-3 of these. If that is the case, they are participating in interactive media, albiet at a rudementary level. The bigger questions is how are they integrating each of them into their business?

I propose that businesses that understand interactive media and the need to INTEGRATE interactive media are the most successful.

Here is a personal example, I went to Banana Republic the other day to buy a shirt. The store did not have it in my size, but they looked it up on the computer and they were able to place a web order right at the register. When I got home, I had a confirmation email waiting for me. I received the shirt and it did not fit. I called the 1-800 number posted on the packing list AND on the website to be told "No problem, you can either send it back to us or bring it back to the store."
What a great integrated brand experience. You can bet I'll shop at Banana Republic again. Banana Republic made their media and processes invisible to me, the customer, AND made a lasting positive impression on me.

Whatever interactive media you choose to use for your company, PLEASE make every effort to INTEGRATE it. Today this integration is a competitive advantage, but tomorrow it will be the norm and if you don't integrate, it will be a disadvantage.
We have stores, catalogs, websites, call centers, social media, etc... the more that you can integrate these to give the customer a consistant brand experience, the better your brand will resonate with the customer... at least this customer! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment