Sunday, May 9, 2010

Control or Empowerment? Which is more effective?

I have read a ton of articles lately around "control vs. empowerment" when it comes to social media. Some companies are afraid that if they play in social media, they will lose control. We have been in such a "control-based" environment that it is tough for more traditional companies to step back and realize that the customer is empowering themselves. If you choose not to play in this media, you choose to let people talk about you without being involved in the conversation. Social Media allows the customer to speak- like it or not.

But this post is not just about Social Media, this post is about how you lead people. The premise if very similar. Do you control your staff or do you empower them?
I would argue that a manager that controls their staff is not very self confident and ends up placing fear and paralyses in their people. How many risks will people take if they are scared of their boss?

Now lets look at a leader that empowers their staff. Empowering means giving your staff the latitude to do their job. As a leader you provide vision and direction, but then you empower your people to get the job done. Your brand will be a lot stronger when your people feel like they are empowered to do their job and speak on behalf of the brand. This instills a sense of pride and responsibility. I guarantee that you will get more done with empowerment than control.

If you are a control freak (yes, I am a recovering control freak), you have to figure out how to let go. As I let go of control and started to empower my team, I experienced more successes. As I experienced more successes, I empowered my team more- it is a self fulfilling prophecy! Here is how I empower vs. control:

1) I work WITH the team to set a clear vision and mission. I don't go off and create it in an office. The outcome is always stronger with input from the team.
2) I insure each team member understands the vision and how it affects their job.
3) I share my "secret" of being a recovering control freak with my team.
4) I tell each staff member what information I need from them to prevent me from back sliding into a place of control. Basically, I encourage my team to come to me as issues are bubbling up, not after they've happened.
5) I give them permission to tell me if I am drifting into control mode, then we determine how we will work together to course correct.
6) If there is an issue that requires my involvement I ask questions. Questions will get you so much more information than accusations or directives.
7) Once I understand the situation I work WITH my team member to solve the problem. I don't solve it for them and I don't take over the situation- the results are so much greater and the team member learns MUCH more in this scenario.
8) I check in with my team and ask for feedback- I do 360 degree feedback asking supervisors, peers and partners for feedback. This keeps me honest in my quest to empower vs. control. See my post on feedback.

This is my "8 step plan" to empower others. How do you empower others? I'd love to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment